- Contributes to the development of sociology and the interdisciplinary focus on Africa in Bayreuth
- At the interface of the Department of Sociology and of African Studies; participates in the Cluster of Excellence Africa Multiple.
- Transdisciplinary work bridges sociology and political science with new theoretical, conceptual and methodological innovations.
- Our sociological and Africa-specific expertise enriches the University of Bayreuth's interdisciplinary study programs (BA and MA Culture and Society of Africa, BA-Track and MA Sociology, and MA Development Studies).
- Networking and cooperation with African colleagues and institutions includes a European Research Council (ERC) project with colleagues in Brazil, China, Mozambique and Tanzania.
- Regional networking is linked to previous research in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Guinea, and South Africa.
The International Political Sociology of Africa
Peace and Conflict Studies/Critical Security Studies
Most Recent Publications
- Beyond the Gatekeeper State: African Infrastructure Hubs as Sites of Experimentation. Jana Hönke. Third World Thematics. Published online: 18 Apr 2018
- Hönke, J., & Cuesta-Fernández, I. Mobilising security and logistics through an African port: A controversies approach to infrastructure. Mobilities, 13(2), 246-260.