Our African Studies programs have been reformed and will be starting as completely new programs soon:
B.A. Interdisciplinary African Studies
(from October 2022; with a strong cross-disciplinary part and the possibility to specialize in politics and sociology); instructed in German!
M.A. African Studies: Critical Perspectives on Society, Politics and Culture
(instructed in English; from October 2023; applications starting spring 2023)
- contributes to the development of Global Political Sociology, with a focus on Africa.
- is at the intersection of Global Political Sociology, International Relations/Political Science and African Studies, and from there, develops theoretical and methodological innovations.
- is part of the Cluster of Excellence Africa Multiple. We also build towars a new interdisciplinary research focus on peace and conflict at the University of Bayreuth (see research projects HIERARCHIES, ÜBERGÄNGE/TransitionalConflicts).
- involves international collaboration on the ERC-project "Africa's Infrastructure Globalities (INFRAGLOB), with focus on China and Brazil.
- fosters further regional networks, among others with DRC, Guinea, Cameroon, Kenya, Tanzania, and South Africa.
During the Bayreuth International Summer School in July 2022, the chair offered a course on the topic "China-Africa Engagements: Narratives, Myths and Realities" in cooperation with Dr. Obert Hodzi (University of Liverpool).