Prof. Dr. Jana Hönke and Yifan Yang as well as associate researcher Eric Cezne have co-edited a new book that is now going to press and can be pre-ordered!
"Africa's Global Infrastructures - South-South Transformations in Practice"
Our new English-language Master of Arts programme in African Studies: Critical Perspectives on Society, Politics and Culture starts this October.
What makes our programme unique:
- The freedom to choose your own individual study focus, while centering Africa as an epistemic site of knowledge production
- An interdisciplinary emphasis on the social sciences, combining the insights of sociology and politics, social and cultural anthropology, history, and the study of religion, each with a focus on Africa
- A university on the forefront of interdisciplinary African research in Europe, with dozens of UBT professors and lecturers doing Africa-related research, a vast collection of Africa-specific book and media resources, and the prestigious “Africa Multiple” Cluster of Excellence and the Bayreuth Academy of Advanced African Studies making UBT a hub for African Studies.
If this programme sounds like a great fit for you or someone you know, check out its website for more information. We look forward to hear from you!
We encourage prospective students to apply early (especially if they need a visa). Applications for winter 2024/25 start 1 March 2024.
Our B.A. Interdisciplinary African Studies has a strong cross-disciplinary component and offers the opportunity to specialize in politics and sociology. It is taught in German.
- contributes to the development of Global Political Sociology, with a focus on Africa.
- is at the intersection of Global Political Sociology, International Relations/Political Science and African Studies, and from there, develops theoretical and methodological innovations.
- is part of the Cluster of Excellence Africa Multiple. We also build towars a new interdisciplinary research focus on peace and conflict at the University of Bayreuth (see research projects HIERARCHIES, ÜBERGÄNGE/TransitionalConflicts).
- involves international collaboration on the ERC-project "Africa's Infrastructure Globalities (INFRAGLOB), with focus on China and Brazil.